07 August 2012

Summer Good-on-Everything Aioli

The summer is just flying past, and since I'm working out-of-state for weeks at a time, I haven't been able to keep up with crafting and cooking. But on the few days I get to spend at home, I've been trying to get in some sewing and some quick but delicious meals. Sunday was one of those, and it really was delicious - Roasted Shiitake Mushroom Sandwiches with Garlic-Basil Aioli. You can get the full sandwich recipe over at the Red Owl Blog, but here on Grow, Knead, Pickle & Sew I wanted to share this easy and versatile recipe for the aioli I used.

First, let me say that making a traditional aioli would include emulsifying olive oil and farm-fresh egg yolks a la homemade mayo, but since we're going for quick here, you'll notice that the recipe calls for store-bought mayo. If you're going the healthy, homemade way (which of course I recommend - do as I say, not as I do) then you should by all means make up a batch of mayo first, especially if you use the incredible Julia Childs whey-fermented recipe.

This aioli can be used as a sandwich spread, as a dip for roasted potatoes, fresh veggies or as a topping for a summer quiche. Also, I want to plug Alm Hill/Growing Washington, as they are selling some incredible basil right now at the Wallingford Farmers Market (Seattle on Wednesdays). 

Click through for the recipe!

 

Garlic-Basil Good-on-Everything Aioli - 2-3 servings


  • 1/3 cup mayo 
  • Heaping handful fresh basil leaves 
  • 1 medium clove garlic 
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • salt & pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until thoroughly mixed. There is no need to chop anything if you're using a food processor, however, if you don't have a food processor you can mince the garlic and basil as finely as possible, then mix all ingredients very well by hand or hand-mixer. 

Eat immediately or cover and refrigerate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment